New Zealand · North Island
7-Day New Zealand North Island Road Trip
7 TRAVEL DAYS
AUCKLAND → WELLINGTON
I last checked the practical details in September 2026. Before you go, I’d still open the linked official pages—weather, access and ferry details can change.
The route
Arrival night · not Day 1
Sleep in Auckland first.
I’d use the arrival night to recover from the flight and begin the seven travel days the next morning. An early landing does not have to become another long driving day.
Optional · Muriwai
If you land early and still feel good, Muriwai is a beautiful detour.
The tākapu colony and black-sand coast make a memorable first glimpse of the island. Check the current Council track update, seasonal wildlife guidance and Auckland traffic before setting out.
Auckland → Wellington
Who this works for
THIS ROUTE WORKS WELL IF
Hobbiton has been on your wish list for years, you love big landscapes, and you’d rather spend meaningful time around Tongariro and Taranaki than race through every famous North Island stop. You’re also comfortable leaving a little room for the weather to change the plan.
YOU MAY WANT A DIFFERENT ROUTE IF
LEAVE ROOM FOR
Mountain weather can move the hard days. The extra night in Tūrangi makes that possible without rushing the rest of the trip.
Seven actual travel days
Spend two nights in Tūrangi before moving west. If Day 2 is unsuitable, Day 3 becomes a second Tongariro attempt. If the weather cooperates the first time, drive west after breakfast and enjoy the extra time around Taranaki.
I’d book a morning tour, enjoy Hobbiton properly, then continue to Tūrangi before evening.
Make this the gentler Taranaki day: coast, recovery, or the drive west if Tongariro moved to Day 3.
Take your time on the drive, then spend the evening in Wellington.
Spend the morning in Wellington, then sail only if the timetable leaves a comfortable check-in margin.
For this trip, the base matters most around the mountain days. I’d book Tūrangi first, then New Plymouth and Wellington, and fit Auckland around the flight schedule.
Wellington
For the final night before deciding what to do about Cook Strait
Find stays in Wellington →
Some booking links are affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
DAY 1 · THE SHAPE OF THE DAY
Leave after breakfast
about 2 hr
Booked Signature Tour
about 2¼ hr
Sleep + prepare
Orientation only. Drive times are approximate, exclude stops and can change with Auckland traffic or roadworks; check NZTA before leaving.
WHEN TO BOOK
EARLIER TOUR
The easier fit when Tongariro is tomorrow’s priority.
Auckland · earlier start
Tūrangi · more daylight on arrival
Food + fuel · room for an unhurried stop
Tongariro prep · finish before dinner
LATER TOUR
A gentler Auckland morning, with less margin at the other end.
Auckland · easier morning
Tūrangi · a later finish
Food + fuel · combine into one quick stop
Tongariro prep · do the key work before leaving
Why finish in Tūrangi
Tomorrow belongs to Tongariro.
Hobbiton is the one I’d reserve first. Waitomo and Rotorua only matter if you decide to build those detours into your own version of the route.
For this itinerary, I’d choose the self-arrival option at Shire’s Rest so you can continue south toward Tūrangi afterward instead of returning to Auckland.
See the Hobbiton tour →
Worth considering if Waitomo is one of the detours you decide deserves time in your version of the trip.
See the Waitomo cave tour →
If you decide Rotorua deserves one of your extra days, this is the kind of experience that can make that detour feel meaningfully different from the rest of the trip.
See the Rotorua rafting experience →
Day 2 · attempt one
The Crossing is one-way, exposed and weather-dependent. I’d reserve a shuttle, start early and make the final call after checking the morning weather, DOC advice and current volcanic information.

BOOKING
Booking is recommended for everyone and required when using a shuttle or guided walk. The track booking itself is free.
Cold, strong wind, rain, poor visibility and even summer snow are possible. Check the morning advisory and forecast.
The route crosses active volcanic hazard zones. Check current DOC and GeoNet guidance before setting out.
Return to Tūrangi, eat and sleep. I wouldn’t follow the Crossing with the four-hour drive to New Plymouth.
Current-conditions note · checked September 2026. Fire-affected areas near the start remain under a restorative rāhui: stay on track, keep out of affected off-track areas, and expect visible blackening and regrowth. Re-check DOC, NIWA, GeoNet and your shuttle operator before travel.
Day 3 · wait, walk, or drive west
I’d keep the Tūrangi and New Plymouth bookings flexible. If Day 2 closes, sleep in Tūrangi again and use Day 3 for a second attempt; otherwise drive west after breakfast.
IF DAY 2 WORKS
Continue west
Drive toward New Plymouth after breakfast. If low tide, calmer sea and daylight line up, Tongapōrutu is a lovely stop on the way. Arrive before the Taranaki days begin.
IF DAY 2 FAILS
Try again
Stay based in Tūrangi. If DOC, the weather and your operator support a second attempt, hike today and sleep locally again. Transfer west on Day 4 morning.
IF BOTH FAIL
If the weather never opens, let Tongariro go
It’s disappointing to miss a hike you came this far for, but I wouldn’t give away Taranaki and Wellington waiting for a Crossing that never becomes safe. Choose a shorter official walk if its own conditions are suitable, then continue west.
DOC names Taranaki Falls and Tama Lakes as alternatives, but neither is automatically suitable in hazardous weather. Match the walk to the actual forecast and guidance.
Day 4 · coast, cloud, recovery
Give tired legs a quieter day and let Taranaki Maunga appear—or stay hidden—without treating cloud as a failure. If Tongariro moved to Day 3, use today for the drive west.

IF THE TIDE IS RIGHT
Stop at Tongapōrutu. This was one of those roadside stops that felt much bigger than I expected. Walking out onto the black sand with the cliffs behind you and the sea stacks rising offshore feels wonderfully wild—especially after several days in the mountains. You do need the tide on your side. The Three Sisters are best approached around low tide, and rough seas can change what is accessible, so check the conditions before making the detour.
IF THE MOUNTAIN STAYS HIDDEN
A cloud-wrapped maunga is normal. Use the quieter day to read the next forecast, organize Mangorei access and decide whether Day 5 still feels right for the hike.
ABOUT THE NAME
Use Taranaki Maunga and Te Papa-Kura-o-Taranaki. Older Mount Taranaki or Egmont wording may still appear in historical context and legacy directions.
Day 5 · Mangorei Track
The perfect Taranaki reflection is the photograph everyone knows, but I wouldn’t plan the day around getting that one image. The climb through the forest, the boardwalk and the changing views as you get higher are the experience. If the mountain appears perfectly over the tarns, wonderful. If it stays behind the clouds, that doesn’t automatically make the hike a wasted day.
Keep the second New Plymouth night. I would not combine this hike with the drive to Wellington and an evening ferry.
A GOOD MORNING FOR IT
A stable forecast, suitable track conditions, warm waterproof layers and enough time for the return.
IF THE MAUNGA STAYS HIDDEN
The mountain may never appear. The forest, boardwalk and tarn landscape can still make this a beautiful day if the weather is otherwise stable.
WHEN TO CHOOSE ANOTHER DAY
Fast-changing or extreme weather, winter snow or ice, or access uncertainty. Ask DOC or the visitor centre for current advice.
A GENTLER OPTION
A gentler option: Wilkies Pools
If the higher mountain tracks don’t make sense that day, Wilkies Pools is a much shorter walk through forest to the lava-formed pools near Dawson Falls. I’d still check the rain before going—stream crossings can become unsafe after heavy weather.
I last checked the access notes in September 2026. Re-check DOC access, track conditions and the mountain forecast before committing to the day.
Looking back
I once followed a big mountain day with the long drive to Wellington and an evening ferry. It was possible, but it made the whole second half of the day feel rushed. If I were planning this trip again, I’d sleep in New Plymouth, give the drive to Wellington its own day, and arrive with enough time to actually enjoy the city before thinking about Cook Strait.
Day 6 · New Plymouth → Wellington
Allow about 4½ hours before stops, then give Wellington the evening: return the rental car only if your ferry plan supports it, walk the waterfront and eat close to wherever you need to be the next morning.
Do not rely on a tight same-evening sailing. Cook Strait conditions and operating requirements can delay or cancel departures, and a vehicle check-in deadline sits before the published sailing time.
Day 7 · Wellington or Cook Strait
Give Wellington a little room: coffee, a waterfront walk and Te Papa if time allows. Then choose between another night in the city and the next Cook Strait sailing that genuinely fits.
NORTH ISLAND
Wellington
COOK STRAIT
Leave room in the schedule
SOUTH ISLAND
Picton
BEFORE YOU SAIL
Interislander currently closes vehicle check-in 60 minutes before departure. Once checked in, you cannot leave the vehicle area.
WATCH THE LIVE SCHEDULE
Published schedules and crossing duration are not guaranteed. Weather, sea state, safety and operations can change the day.
SAIL TODAY OR STAY ANOTHER NIGHT?
Take a suitable sailing and accept a shorter Wellington visit, or stay another night and sail on the next departure that works.
I last checked the ferry details in September 2026. Choose from the live timetable and leave room around any onward booking in case the sailing changes.
Before you book
If you have less time
6 days · compressed
Keep the buffer and make one Taranaki day lighter.
Six days still leave room for the Tongariro buffer, but not for two guaranteed mountain days.
5 days · choose one
Choose one mountain day.
With five days, I’d choose one mountain and give the road enough time.
WHAT’S INSIDE
01
Shuttle and access planning, the evening-before checks, a real weather buffer, and alternatives if the Crossing does not happen.
02
Access, road ends, mountain-weather considerations and realistic alternatives when the cloud does not cooperate.
03
Five-, seven- and ten-day structures, plus what Rotorua, Waitomo or Taupō costs elsewhere in the itinerary.
04
Wellington, ferry timing and the decision to stay the night or continue toward the South Island.
48-page print/tablet guide + a separate 66-screen mobile field edition
Get the North Island Field Guide · $3.99
Both editions are included
Continue through Picton
The North Island route ends in Wellington. Cross when the timetable suits, then give the South Island its own first day instead of adding Picton to the end of an already full one.
Continue south → 10-Day South Island Road Trip











